Cilantro & Pineapple Nachos

For the next week or so, I'll be sharing recipes that are easy and low-maintenance and vacation-friendly. When we were in Belize, we didn't have as many options in the grocery stores. We were apprehensive about buying meat because it looked a bit questionable so we ate a lot of non-perishables like pastas and canned foods - you know, the type of stuff that's donated to food drives.

I think the best thing I made during our trip were these cilantro and pineapple nachos. They were so yummy, we made them a few times.
We got these amazing tortilla chips that were made on the island. They weren't too thick or too thin (Goldilocks would approve) and they were really crunchy and delicious with plenty of corn flavor and the perfect amount of salt.

On an oven-safe plate, I piled on some chips, sprinkled on some grated colby jack cheese, some canned black beans (drained and rinsed), diced pineapple pieces, diced raw onions, diced tomatoes, and diced bell peppers. Then I popped it in the oven for 5 minutes at 300F until the cheese was melted.
Then, I spooned on some salsa and sprinkled on some fresh cilantro.
I also sprinkled on some hot sauce that was made in Belize. Marie Sharp's was a brand we saw quite often.
And then it was time to dig in. The combination of the sweet pineapples and the fresh burst of cilantro made these nachos really special. Obviously, this is an easy recipe and you can tweak it to your tastes. If I had been at home, I probably would have also added some browned ground beef seasoned with chili powder, avocado pieces, and sour cream.
Cheers.

Comments