Blueberry Lemonade

You might've noticed that I'm trying out a slightly new look. New font, new banner, all photos the same width (instead of vertical photos being slightly skinnier than the width of the text body). I think everything's looking much cleaner and chicer and cooler. I tend to get bored of redundancy so I enjoy changing what I can every once in a while, just for a little refreshment.

Speaking of refreshment, let's talk lemonade! HA! What a segue. Lemonade is the drink of summer, am I right? I mean, it's the ultimate thirst quencher in this kind of heavy, humid, nasty heat. You're outside, working really hard on something like, I don't know, you're pruning, and then you go inside and grab an ice cold glass of lemonade and then you chug it like you're back in college at a keg party. In reality, I think I'd chug water first and then maybe a beer, but in the most picturesque of situations, it would be a lemonade, because that's v. Norman Rockwell, right?

Of course it's easier to buy ready-made lemonade (rhyme!) but I love making my own. I think it's fun and delicious and I like knowing that there are zero artificial flavors or dyes in my drink. I mean, lemonade is just lemons, sugar, and water so I don't really understand why bottled versions need to add a bunch of extra crap. I mean, I do - preservation and marketing - but whatever. So anyway, I decided to make blueberry lemonade this time around because we had plenty of berries from our farm adventure and why not? Blueberries and lemons are a great combination and blueberries create a gorgeous pinky purply reddish color. It's a gorgeous drink that would ideally be sipped out of a glass mug so that everyone can enjoy the color.
Ingredients [yields 4 to 6 servings]:
juice of 4 lemons (about 1 cup)
1 cup simple syrup (1 cup water + 1 cup sugar)
4 to 6 cups water
½ cup blueberry syrup (½ cup blueberries + 1 teaspoon lemon zest)
You can buy bottled lemon juice but squeezing your own is fun and you can burn calories! No, but seriously, fresh lemon juice trumps the bottled kind because it's real and there are no preservatives and you can compost afterwards!
Make a decent amount of simple syrup as well. Just dump some sugar and water into a clean saucepan and heat over a low flame until the sugar dissolves. If you've got a big sweet tooth, I'd say make a little extra simple syrup but I like my lemonade to be a perfect balance of sweet and tart.
To make the blueberry syrup, just add blueberries and zest and cook over low heat until the berries start to burst and release juice and it starts to boil.
Chill all of the ingredients.
To make the lemonade, start by pouring lemon juice, simple syrup, and water into your pitcher. Add as much water as you like. Start with 4 cups and give it a taste and add more if necessary.
Dump in some of the blueberry syrup and stir until you get a gloriously purple concoction. I like bits of berries floating around in my lemonade but you can strain it if you prefer a berry-free drink.
Pour into glasses and garnish with a lemon slice and a sprig of mint.
Ahh! Super refreshing! It tastes like fresh lemon and fresh blueberries and it's so summery and friggin' delicious. It's a lovely spin on traditional lemonade. Oh, and if you were feeling like a lush, you could add in a jigger or two of rum or vodka or liquor of your choice. Maybe even some bourbon? I don't know, I'm not that great at making cocktails anymore.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments