Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake

Back in April, I visited DC for a weekend with my friend H. We did a lot of biking, sightseeing, and eating. One of my favorite jaunts was to the Good Stuff Eatery where I enjoyed an amazing burger and a delicious toasted marshmallow milkshake. The burger was really good, but because I'm already pretty good at making burgers, I devoted my attention to the shake and I think I did a pretty good job recreating that toasty deliciousness.
Ingredients [yields 2 shakes]:
1 pint vanilla bean ice cream
½ cup whole milk
2 cups mini marshmallows
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract

So I thought I'd share the inspiration for the shake before I got into the recipe. The shake was super rich and thick (to the point where I could just barely suck it up the straw) with a punch of toasted sugar flavor. The charred marshmallow garnish is what did it for me though. It made the shake look so much cuter and it was delicious to eat.

To make an amazing marshmallow shake at home, start by grabbing a sheet pan and line it with parchment paper. Sprinkle the marshmallows onto the sheet pan in a single layer and pop it into a high heat broiler for about three minutes until they're beautifully golden brown. Don't let them cool too long because they will get stickier and stickier. When they're still warm, they're awesome and gooey and easily scoopable.
Grab a blender - with a milkshake blade, if you have it - and add the ice cream, milk, vanilla extract, salt, and marshmallows into the pitcher. Blend until smooth.
Pour the thick, delicious shake into a chilled glass. Garnish with more toasted marshmallows and serve with a straw. This milkshake is super indulgent and awesome. The toasty taste of the marshmallow adds a caramelly goodness and the vanilla is deliciously fragrant. It's a perfect summertime treat. And even though it's not necessarily the most waistline friendly, I think a treat once in a while is always nice.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments