Yukgaejang 2 (육개장)

So I've already done a post on yukgaejang but I made it again recently and used my nice camera to document the process so I'm doing another post. The recipe I ended up using was slightly different because as I've mentioned before, when I cook, I'm not v. precise. I just throw in what I think will taste good and improvise a lot. By the way, I said this in my last post, but I didn't add in any gosari because I hate it - but obviously, if you like it, you can add it in.

Ingredients [serves 4]:
1 lb. beef brisket or flank steak
6 to 8 cups water
4 cloves garlic
4 to 6 scallions
1 cup sprouts
1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes (gochugaru)
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon canola oil
½ teaspoon sesame oil
½ onion, sliced
1 egg
salt to taste
handful of glass noodles

To make the stock, follow the same general concept as I used in my jangjorim recipe. First, soak the meat in water (to draw out the myoglobin so the broth will be clear) for 30 minutes or until the meat looks light pink. Then, add the meat, water, and garlic cloves to a large pot and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for an hour or until the meat is tender. Once the meat is done, remove it from the stock. Skim or strain the stock to get rid of any floating foam and/or fat. Shred the meat.

In another bowl, mix together the hot pepper flakes and black pepper, canola oil, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Stir together to form a paste.
Beat one egg with a fork.
Boil the stock in a soup pot. Add in the hot pepper flake paste and stir. Allow to cook for 10 minutes and then salt to taste. Add in the shredded meat and then the noodles and let the soup boil until the noodles are just tender. Mix in the beaten egg.
Finish off with the onions, sprouts, and scallions and remove from the heat.
Serve with a big bowl of rice and enjoy!

Here's the recipe page:

Comments