What I Ate: Grilled Halloumi Avocado Toast

Our Trader Joe's is finally stocking halloumi. Praise the cheese gods! Halloumi is a cheese you can literally grill. It originated in Cyprus and it's made from goat's and sheep's milk and it's unripened with a high melting point. It's salty, it's soft, and it goes slightly gooey in the middle when it's warmed.
I could definitely eat halloumi plain but I think it's best enjoyed on a sandwich. This isn't a complicated recipe by any means, so I'm just making this a 'What I Ate' style post.

Ingredients [for 1]:
piece of bread, sliced in half
2 oz. halloumi
1 tablespoon pesto
½ avocado
squeeze of lemon
1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds

I made a batch of no knead bread fresh for this lunch.
To grill the cheese, you quite literally grill the cheese. You can use a cast iron skillet, a grill pan, or an outdoor grill. Just make sure you get the surface nice and hot before slapping on the cheese so that it browns nicely. Cook until it starts to go limp; that means it's soft in the middle.
To assemble the sandwich, I just smeared on a little pesto, mashed on the avocado, squeezed on a little lemon juice, nestled on the hot halloumi, and then topped it off with a few pomegranate seeds.
The halloumi is soft and "squeaky" in a delicious melty cheese way and it goes amazingly with the pesto and soft avocado. The pomegranate seeds add a bit of brightness and tartness, which contrasts nicely with the cheese. This makes an amazing breakfast (which is how I enjoyed it) and an equally amazing lunch.
xoxo.

Comments