Green Smoothie Supplements

Ever since I booked my flights for my summer holiday, I've been on a bit of a health kick, at least during the workweek. I've been working out pretty regularly and watching what I eat (to a reasonable degree; actually, it's more like watching how much I eat).

Whenever the weather gets warm, I get into green smoothies and this year is no different. Except, this year is different because I've been adding some extra stuff into my smoothies. I thought I would share some of my favorite supplements because they've been really great and I can actually feel and see the difference.
I make my smoothie in the morning, pack it up, and drink it at work and I get so many comments about how unappealing they look but they make me feel awesome and I think they taste great so screw the haters!

So, in addition to my usual blender full of greens, coconut water, frozen fruit, cucumber, and ginger, I like to add in chia seeds, chlorella, matcha powder, and cacao powder. I do about 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, 1 heaped teaspoon of matcha, half a scoop of chlorella (which is probably about ½ teaspoon), and ¼ teaspoon of cacao.
Chia Seeds: besides being high in protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids, it has calcium, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium.

Chlorella: this type of algae is full of protein, Vitamin A, Vitamins B2 and B3, iron, zinc, and magnesium and it helps detoxify the body and helps with weight loss.

Matcha Powder: matcha is just ground up green tea and it's full of antioxidants and gives smoothies a little caffeine boost. Matcha helps to boost the metabolism and aids in weight loss.

Cacao Powder: cacao is the raw form of chocolate and it's considered to be one of the most antioxidant-rich ingredients ever. It's also full of iron and magnesium and it taste awesome. I add just a little to most smoothies, but sometimes if my sweet tooth is acting up, I'll make a green smoothie with greens, almond milk, a banana, and a big scoop of cacao and it tastes like an amazing dessert chocolate shake.
So far, I've been seeing and feeling nothing but good things with these smoothies. My skin has been looking brighter and clearer, I feel more awake and have more energy (which probably can be mostly credited to the caffeine in the matcha), one smoothie for breakfast will fill me up so substantially that I'm barely hungry come lunchtime, it really gets things moving (if you catch my drift), and my nails and hair are growing like crazy.
The other little thing I've been doing daily is drinking lemon juice. I squeeze the juice of half a lemon and take it like a shot. I chase it with water to rinse the acid off of my teeth. Everyone at work was passing some sickness around for the past few weeks - my office-mate had it bad for a few days - and I did not catch it and I think I can owe that to the lemon juice. It's also made my skin feel brighter and it seems to help combat the hormonal spots I get on my chin from being a lady and from eating dairy.
Hopefully by the time I got on holiday, I'll be fit and fabulous.

xoxo.

Comments