Creamy Spinach

I don't like the way "creamed spinach" sounds; I prefer to say "creamy spinach" just because it sounds more delicious to me. Honestly, I hadn't really thought about blogging this recipe and then changed my mind last minute and that's why it's not in my typical format and many of the photos came out a bit blurry in my haste so I am sorry!

Ingredients:
1 bag of baby spinach (I think they're usually 6 to 8 oz. bags)
1/4 cup finely diced onion
2 cloves minced or sliced garlic
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 cup cream or milk

If you are buying regular spinach (like grown up spinach) that is sold in bundles, make sure to give it a really good wash. Spinach is grown in sandy soils so it needs to be washed really well, unless you enjoy that gritty texture. I like these salad-in-a-bag packages though, because everything is already washed. I like to give it a wash anyway, just for my own peace of mind, but I don't put as much effort into it as I might with the loosely sold stuff.
To start, make the "creamy" portion of the dish. Start with the butter, onions, and garlic in a saucepan over medium low heat. Let everything cook a bit until the onions are translucent. Then add in the flour and whisk together briskly to form a paste-like mixture. Slowly drizzle in the milk or cream and then whisk to combine. Allow to cook for 3 or 4 minutes until the sauce is thickened.

In a large (non-stick) skillet, cook the spinach over low heat. Toss the spinach with tongs to make sure they cook evenly. Once all of the leaves are wilted, remove from the heat immediately. You do not want to overcook the spinach. Then, just tilt the pan over the sink and drain off any excess liquid. You can even press into the spinach using the tongs or a spatula to squeeze out a bit more moisture.
Then, put the wilted spinach into the cream sauce and stir until everything is well-mixed. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm. Also, this would probably be really delicious with a bit of parmesan cheese shaved on top.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments