Blueberry Mojito

I know our blueberry picking trip was forever ago but I've got another blueberry recipe today. Sometimes I make stuff and document it and then forget about it and I'll be blogging and think, "Oh shi-, I mean shoot! I completely forgot about that!"

Well, I couldn't not make a blueberry mojito with the awesome fresh berries we picked. I mean, I had to pay homage to my college days (back when the blueberry mojito was the yummiest way to consume plastic bottle alcohol, re: cheap alcohol) and get my buzz on whilst getting a good dose of antioxidants and vitamins. I think this is the fifth type of mojito I've shared on the blog so far and I've shared a total of (maybe) ten cocktail recipes. I guess I just really love mojitos?
Ingredients:
2 oz. chilled clear rum (I'm a fan of Bacardi and I blame 50 Cent)
6 to 8 mint leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon blueberry syrup
¾ cup tonic water

It's a simple recipe. Just plop some mint leaves and sugar into a glass and use the butt of a wooden spoon (or an actual muddler if you've got one) and bruise the leaves. The sugar isn't a necessity but it's used as an abrasive to really scratch up the mint, which allows more of the essential oils to be released. If you're watching your weight, you could totally omit the sugar and just mash the mint around. Squeeze in the juice of half a lime (about 2 tablespoons), plop in a shot or two of rum, and add in a little blueberry syrup (which is just blueberries heated up on the stove until they burst and get syrupy). Top off your drink with tonic water or seltzer.
Make a cute garnish by stabbing a lime wedge with a toothpick to create a hole. Remove the toothpick and push a mint sprig into the hole that was made by the tooth pick. Tada! Pretty green garnish to decorate the side of your glass!
Chug to your heart's content. If you're not keen on rum, you can use vodka instead. Or, if you're not keen on alcohol, you can omit and have a virgin mojito, no judgment. Or, if you're looking to get real schnockered on this stuff, you can increase the amount of liquor in the recipe. Honestly, the combination of the mint and the blueberry really helps to quiet the strong bite of alcohol so that this stuff slips right down your gullet, which is both a good and bad thing. These can be dangerous and have you "shpeaking like thish" in no time flat.
Bottoms up!
xoxo.

Comments