Spicy Pickled Pink Radish

This summer is just whizzing by way too quickly. I lost about half of my summer to North Dakota and once I got back, I had so many obligations and parties and little trips here and there that it's made the time go by rather rapidly. It's both good and bad. I'm a pretty introverted person so when I've got an overload of social obligations, I start to burn out and I need a month of by-myself-recovery-time. This weekend should be a somewhat quiet one. I've got a dress fitting, which shouldn't take too long, and an appointment to get my haircut and a lunch with family. It's probably the "quietest" weekend in a while and I'm looking forward to it immensely.

I'm also looking forward to every cucumber harvest that my little tiny garden produces because we've been making some delicious pickles this season and every batch disappears in just a few days. In between harvests, I've been pickling whatever else I can. Pickles are so delicious but they're especially satisfying in the summertime. They're cold, they're acidic, they're crunchy; basically, they're the best. Baby sister bought a whole package of cute pink radishes and we ran out of uses for it pretty quickly. We added sliced radishes to every salad for weeks but it felt like the stash wasn't diminishing at all. So, I made a batch of quick pickles.

Pickling radishes is fun because they turn pink all over and look super cute!
Ingredients:
6 to 8 pink radishes, sliced
1 mini cucumber, sliced
1 jalapeño, sliced
1 cup water
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
1 clove garlic, smashed


Make the pickling brine by adding salt, sugar, garlic, crushed pepper flakes, fennel, vinegar, and water into a saucepan. Heat over low and bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Let the brine cool.

Slice up the radishes, cucumber, and jalapeño and pop into a jar.
Pour the pickling brine over the vegetables and seal up the jar. Keep in the fridge for 24 hours and then chow down.
These guys are super spicy and crisp and great on sandwiches or piled on top of a salad or stuffed inside of a chicken souvlaki pita, which is how I put them to use.
I made a batch of flatbread pita except I added minced fresh rosemary and minced fresh garlic (yum!).
So yummy!
So so so so yummy!
Here's the recipe page:

Comments