Café Au Lait

Happy Christmas! Is everyone having a lovely holiday? I am. Christmas morning is always really hectic but the afternoon is for winding down. You know, the time where you all sit around, watch a ton of random television, and cozy up with a mug of something warm.
Ingredients:
coffee beans + grinder
french press
sugar
steamed milk + frother
mug

I have this tiny and cute french press (Bodum Chambord) and it's the perfect size for making a single serving. I'm not a big coffee drinker - not because I don't love it but because I care about the color of my teeth - so it's great for someone like me. To make coffee in a french press, add your coffee to the bottom of the press. Pour in hot water (not boiling) and give the coffee stir.
Place the press mechanism on top but don't plunge just yet. Let the coffee steep for 5 minutes.
After 5 minutes, slowly press the plunger down.
Meanwhile, you can steam and froth some milk. If you have an espresso machine with a steamer, good for you! Use that baby and use it well. I don't so I do what I can with what I have. Just warm some milk up in a saucepan and then use a frother or wire whisk or beaters to get it bubbly.
Add sugar to the bottom of your mug, if you take your coffee with sugar, that is, and pour the hot coffee over the top to dissolve it nicely. Then add the frothed milk and stir. I think traditionally cafe au lait is half coffee and half milk but I like a two parts of coffee and 1 part milk.
And then, it's time to enjoy.
It's my favorite drink for days where the weather is like this:
By the way, do you like my new teapot? I painted it at Color Me Mine. Just thought I'd throw it in here, since we're talking about warm drinks.
Cozy up in your favorite pajamas with a pair of warm slippers and indulge. Lovely. Oh, and Happy Christmas, to those of you who celebrate. Enjoy.
Cheers.

Comments