Texas Toast


Texas toast is just a type of pre-sliced packaged bread. The quality that sets it apart from regular   Wonderbread is that it's sliced to be twice the thickness of average bread. I suppose it gets its name from either originating in Texas or being served a lot there. Anyway, when I think of Texas toast, I think of the stuff that's sold in the freezer section. The thick slices of bread that are bright yellow that you bake off in the oven.

Yes, the frozen kind is super easy but I'm positive that it's full of preservatives and that bright yellow is kind of unsettling because of how unnatural it is. Besides, it's so simple to make it yourself, so why not?

Ingredients:
loaf of good fluffy bread (I used a fat loaf of Italian, which I chose after inspecting almost every loaf in my supermarket's bakery section but obviously you can go to the pre-sliced bread section and grab a loaf of Texas toast)
2 or 3 tablespoons of butter
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
fresh parsley (optional)

Start by melting the butter with the smashed garlic. You could do this on the stove but 3 tablespoons of butter is such a small amount. I just used the microwave. Then, slice the bread (into nice thick pieces) and arrange on a sheet pan. And now's a good time to preheat the oven. I just set it to the highest temperature.
Next, brush each slice with the melted garlicky butter; or you could spoon it on. I like using a brush because I don't like to saturate the slices, just to be a bit more figure friendly.
Once they're brushed, sprinkle with parsley. I like to also put a few pieces of the smashed up garlic on the bread as well. Not sure if you can see them but they're there. Anyway, just stick them in the broiler for 2 or 3 minutes until the toast becomes golden and delicious.
And voila! (Voila means "there it is" in French, just FYI). Perfectly golden, preservative and artificial flavor-free Texas toast.

Comments