Seafood Pancakes

I've done a few different Korean pancake recipes already but this one is probably the fanciest. It's FULL of ingredients and it's hearty enough to make a meal (at least for me).

Ingredients:
3/4 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 Korean long hot pepper (or jalapeno OR cubanelle if you don't like spice)
3 or 4 scallions, cut into 2" pieces
1/3 cup grated zucchini
1/3 cup grated potato
1/4 cup sliced onions
1/2 cup assorted seafood (I get this in the freezer section, nice mixture of calamari - both tubes and tentacles, baby shrimp, tiny scallops, and mussels)
+enough vegetable oil to fry the pancake

**You can eliminate any of the filling ingredients that you might not like - including the seafood - and add in things you might like more - maybe some cooked and shredded chicken.
To make the pancake, I like to assemble the batter and then add in the filling ingredients - the same way that you'd make regular pancake batter first and then add in things like blueberries and chocolate chips. So I started with the garlic, flour, egg, water, and salt and stir until the ingredients just come together. Then I added in the hot peppers, scallions, grated zucchini, grated potato, onions, and seafood.

Then I mixed it all together until it formed a really thick mixture - kind of like paper mache.
Then, I cooked the pancake in a large skillet over medium heat, making sure to coat the bottom of the pan with oil before adding in the batter. I gently spread out the batter with a spoon to make sure it formed an even layer. After about 4 minutes of cooking on one side, I flipped it over and let it cook on the second side for another 4 minutes. Since the pancake is so big and heavy, I had to use 2 spatulas. After 4 minutes, I gave it one last flip to make sure the pancake was satisfactorily browned on the second side.

** If you're apprehensive about flipping this huge heavy pancake, you can always slide the pancake off onto a big plate and hold it with one hand. Then using the other hand, pop the frying pan (carefully since it's hot) upside down over the plate and then flip both things over.
To serve, I like to slice the pancake into triangles like a pizza. Crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, filled with flavor from all of the filling ingredients; I promise you'll love it!
And of course, a soy sauce dipping sauce is mandatory. (2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, few drops of sesame oil, sprinkle of sesame seeds)

Comments