Rolo Pretzels

Rolo pretzels are a super easy dessert. If you haven't had them or heard of them, their name describes exactly what they are. They're rolo candies with pretzels. I think they're so delicious and I love the combination of salt and sweet as well as the combination of the chewy and crunchy textures. They look kind of fancy and have that homemade touch but take no time to make and require just a few ingredients. Plus, they can be made in under 10 minutes. They're great as a snack for a sporting event, to take on a car ride, or to bring to a potluck-style meal.

Ingredients:
bag of pretzels - something bite-sized like mini twists; I used "snaps" which are checkerboard squares
2 or 3 bags of rolo candies, depends on how many you want to make - and if you don't know, rolos are chocolate covered caramels made by Nestle
optional: pecans, walnuts, almonds

I started by peeling the foil off of a bunch of the rolo candies and preheating the oven to 250 degrees.

Then, on a sheeting tray, which I lined with my Silpat (aluminum foil is fine as well), I laid out a bunch of pretzels and topped them with the rolos. You can see that the top two rows of pretzels are topped with rolos that I cut in half. I don't have a huge sweet tooth so I wanted to make a few that weren't as chocolatey.
I ended up doing an entire tray of half-rolo pretzels. Then I popped the trays in the oven for 3 minutes. It really doesn't take much time to warm up and melt the chocolate and caramel.
Once they were out of the oven, I topped each rolo with either a pecan or another pretzel
Once they're all topped and cooled (takes maybe 5 minutes for the chocolate to set up again), you can pack them in ziploc bags for later or dump them all in a bowl and serve.

Comments