Guacamole (2)

Avocado is one of my favorite foods ever. I love the color, the creamy texture, and the versatility. My favorite preparation is simple avocado toast (or loaded avocado toast) for sure, but my first introduction to avocado was guacamole so it'll always have a special spot in my heart (and stomach).

I shared a guacamole post a few years ago but I thought it was time for an update. The recipe hasn't changed drastically but the photography looks much nicer, I'd say.

I honestly don't make guacamole all that often because these days, I tend to prefer avocado in its "purest" form. However, whenever I have an avocado that looks like it's about to go off and is maybe just a little too soft to be sliceable, then I see it as the perfect opportunity to mash them up. Guacamole is definitely best when made with slightly overripe avocados, as the softer texture makes them easier to smash up and even if there's an unsightly brown spot here or there, it gets blended into the rest of the dip so it doesn't even matter.
Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon lime juice
½ jalapeno, finely diced (remove seeds if you're averse to spice)
1 baby orange pepper, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Start by cutting the avocado in half and removing the pip. Scoop the avocado out with a spoon and add to a mortar or just a regular bowl. Immediately squeeze in the lime juice to prevent the avocado from oxidizing (and turning an unappealing brown color).
Chop up the onion, garlic, peppers and cilantro.
Sprinkle some salt and pepper onto the avocado and then take a pestle (or a fork) and mash it until it's relatively smooth. I like a chunk here and there but if you prefer a completely smooth spread, you can always use a food processor.
Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir together. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
Sure, you can serve the guacamole in the mortar, but I opted to scoop it into this adorable ceramic avocado bowl (that I got from Anthropologie on sale several years ago).
Serve with some toasty tortilla chips (or as an addition to a taco spread) and enjoy. The guacamole is creamy and tangy and punchy and subtly spicy. It's delicious.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments