Eggs Benedict

I love a good, hearty breakfast and eggs benedict is definitely high on my list. I don't make it often but when I do, I go all out and whip up a small batch of Hollandaise sauce and everything.

Ingredients [serves 1 but this recipe is easily increased]:
1 english muffin
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
2 pieces of bacon (Canadian bacon is the traditional route but I prefer regular bacon) - or you could use lox
scallions or parsley for garnish
+ a little white vinegar for poaching the egg (not pictured)
Start with the easy stuff first, like cooking the bacon. I like to just place on a foil-lined baking sheet and then shove in the broiler for 6 to 8 minutes (flipping halfway through), but I like crispy bacon. If you're a limp bacon fan, I'd put the oven on 350 and cook for 5 to 7 minutes (also flipping halfway through).

Also, toast the english muffin. I like lightly toasted bread where the insides get soft and warm and just the edges get a bit of color.
Next, start on the Hollandaise sauce. In a small bowl, add the egg yolk and squeeze of lemon juice and then whisk until slightly pale.
Also, don't forget to cut up the butter into little chunks.
Next, over a simmering pot of water, place the bowl (with the egg yolks and lemon juice) and create a nice double boiler. Whisk the sauce continuously, adding one chunk of butter at a time, only adding the next once the previous piece is fully incorporated.
I've included this (pretty lame) video to show the whisking motion I like to use.
Once all of the butter is incorporated, remove the sauce from the heat and add a little salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Set the sauce aside while you move onto poaching the egg.
In another pot (I like to use a small one and cook one egg at a time), simmer about 1" of water and add in a little white vinegar (just a teaspoon or so). The vinegar will help the egg to congeal a bit quicker so that it doesn't spread too much. However, if you use a SUPER fresh egg, the whites will be a bit more firm and in tact anyway, which will help prevent spreading. Crack in the egg and leave alone for a few minutes until the whites are completely set.
Remove from the pot with a slotted spoon to drain the excess water.
Plate the egg and bacon on top the english muffin halves. Then pour a little Hollondaise on top of the egg and sprinkle with a little more cayenne pepper and scallions (which are both optional).
Doesn't that look good?
And oh my gosh, this is the best part. I love a nice oozy yolk. I like to sop it up with the bread. SO GOOD.

Here's the recipe page:

Comments