Roasted Carrots with Honey

I'm not a huge fan of cooked carrots because they're mushy, lifeless, and have this distinct taste that my tongue just does not like. And as much as I love raw carrots (carrots are SO good for you), serving raw carrots for dinner doesn't scream, "ELEGANT!" So, I roasted carrots and drizzled them with honey and they came out so good, even me, a cooked-carrot-hater, loved them.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of carrots (usually 5 or 6 in a bunch at my market)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 sprig of thyme
1 spring of rosemary
drizzle of honey

So for some reason, I can't find those bags of big carrots in my grocery store anymore. Do you know what I'm talking about? Most produce sections have these dumb carrots pictured below with their big fluffy greens still attached AS WELL AS carrots without the greens in a plastic bag (the same way celery hearts are packaged).
Trim off the tops and any hairy roots and then cut the carrots up into bite sized pieces. I prefer to cut on an angle instead of making coins but you can cut them however you prefer. And despite all my whinging (re: whining) about the greens, I left a bit of them on the tops because I thought they looked pretty. SO SUE ME!

Place the carrots in a single layer on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper.
Then just place herbs on the pan too. The heat will release their aroma and force the carrots to suck it up. Place the pan in a 400 degree oven to roast for 20 to 30 minutes until the carrots are softened and begin to get a bit of color on the edges.
Plate the roasted carrots. Don't they look delicious? They taste a bit like sweet potato but wait, it gets better.
Before you serve them, drizzle with honey for a bit more sweetness.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments