Raspberry Dessert Weekend (Part 2)

Like I said yesterday, this past weekend was filled with family and food. On Sunday, I got to meet my cousin's second child, Elias, who is 1-1/2 years old now and got reacquainted with his older brother, Oliver (who I met when he was 1 year old; he's 3 now).

I decided to make a raspberry cake for them, as I had a bunch left over from my crepe making. I found a regular yellow cake mix in my repertoire and added some lemon and raspberry tones to the cake.

Cake Ingredients
1-2/3 cups of flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick of butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 lemon, zested and juiced (save a pinch of zest and a sprinkle of juice for the frosting)
1/2 cup mashed up raspberries

Raspberry Frosting Ingredients
1/2 cup mashed up raspberries
1/4 cup powdered sugar
leftover lemon zest and juice
8 oz container of mascarpone cheese

To make the cake, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, add eggs until smooth, and then alternate the addition of the dry and wet ingredients until the batter is formed. I poured the batter into a buttered and floured springform pan and baked at 350 for 25 minutes.

To make the frosting, just combine all of the ingredients together. The lemon really makes it taste fresh and delicious and the powdered sugar helps thicken up the cream into frosting consistency.

lots of mashed berries

cake batter w/ berries

mascarpone w/ berriesOnce the cake was finished, I let it cool and then sliced it in half (horizontally) so I could fill it with the raspberry cream frosting and then frosted the outside and decorated it with more berries. The pink was nice and in theme with breast cancer awareness month.
pretty, isn't it?
Bon appetit!

Comments