Atelier September-Inspired Avocado Toast

Last November, I had the pleasure of visiting Copenhagen for the first time. We went to the sweetest little spot for breakfast, Atelier September, and I got to have some of the yummiest and simplest avocado toast ever. I decided that this was the only way I ever wanted to enjoy avocado toast ever again and I've been true to my word.

We sat at a table in the window by the "kitchen" and watched as the two girls running the show whipped up plate after plate of food. The avocado toast was was made elegantly with thin slices of avocado fanned out on top of the best nutty rye bread and topped with flaky sea salt, chili flakes, and the most important ingredient: lemon zest. The lemon zest elevated the toast to something really special.
Ingredients [per person]:
2 slices bread
½ avocado
lemon zest
sea salt
crushed pepper flakes

Okay, so I didn't use amazing nutty, seedy rye bread. (I need to make this eventually; it's just that procuring some of the ingredients will take a bit of work.) Instead, I used a few slices of homemade no knead bread.
Cut the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
Thinly slice the avocado. Divide the slices into two and then use your knife to flatten out the slices and fan them out.
Place the avocado slices onto the bread slices and then grate on some lemon zest.
Sprinkle on some crushed pepper and salt and the avocado toast is ready to serve.
Like I said, this is a super simple dish but it looks really elegant and tastes great. The fragrant lemon zest really wakes up this dish and makes it breakfast-worthy and the kick from the pepper flakes is always a welcome flavor for me.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments