Grilled Nutella

Oh, hello October. Now that it's pretty official that autumn is here, I'm excited for Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas. I know, I know, there's still plenty of time until the holidays, but as the air gets crisper and colder, it's difficult to avoid thinking about it, you know?

At the same time, I miss the summer. I miss the extra hours of daylight, I miss the warmth, I miss the growth in my garden. I've also been daydreaming a lot about my trip to France. I miss that too. A great way to relive a trip is to recreate a meal or dish that you really enjoyed. So that's what I did. I made a grilled Nutella sandwich, much like the one we had at the Crock 'n' Roll in Lyon.
Ingredients [for one]:
2 slices of bread (I used a sourdough boule)
1 tablespoon Nutella (or homemade chocolate hazelnut spread)
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Slice the bread. I prefer thin slices so that they'll be extra crisp but you do what you like. I used sourdough but challah, brioche, even regular white bread would work here.
Spread a little Nutella onto one slice and then slap on the other piece of bread to make a sandwich.
Spread a little butter on each side of the sandwich and then pop the sandwiches onto a grill pan.
Grill on both sides until you get some pretty grill marks and the bread gets nice and toasty.
You can use ready made whipped cream or you can make your own. I made a brown sugar whipped cream, which I thought would complement the toasty sandwiches. I made a tiny batch so I just whipped it up by hand until it was fluffy and scoopable.
Grab your sandwich and cut it in half.
Plop on some whipped cream and then dig in. Enjoy the crispy crust and buttery bread, the creamy and chocolatey Nutella, and the cooling and sweet whipped cream. This makes a delicious dessert but honestly, I had this for breakfast on a lazy Sunday morning.

And now that I'm looking at these photos, I kind of wish I had spruced up the dish with some fresh berries and maybe a sprig of mint. But, this is exactly how Crock 'n' Roll served up their 'Croq Tout Nu' and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments