What I Ate: Omurice

Recently, a friend asked me if I would be interested in having a dinner swap. I'd make him dinner and he'd do the dishes; he'd make me dinner and I'd do the dishes. He'd been wanting to try my cooking for a while but wanted it to be a "fair trade." Let me explain something really important. I am a certified freak when it comes to my kitchen and cooking habits. I'm v. orderly, I multitask, and I'm super diligent about doing dishes as I cook. In fact, I'm so neurotic that I can't enjoy a meal properly knowing there's a sink full of dishes waiting to be tended to. My cooking and cleaning style makes it so the only dishes that need to be washed at the end of the meal are the ones we've just eaten off of; yes, I'm that awesome.

So, you can see that I didn't think that the arrangement was fair at all. If I made dinner, he'd have 2 or 3 dishes to sponge off at the end of the night. Whereas when he made dinner, I'd be scrubbing down the entire kitchen. What is the point of this stupid anecdote? It's to emphasize the greatness of one pot meals, which reduces the amount of kitchen mess that the OCD-free chefs might leave behind and omurice is a great example. You just make a mess of fried rice in one giant frying pan, spoon out the portions onto a bunch of plates, use the same pan to cook up some omelets, and you're good to go. Even me, with my incredible neuroses, would be fine with one frying pan waiting in the sink (maybe).

My previous omurice post is on the uglier side so I should have done a proper photo diary post but I didn't and I'm sorry. Luckily, it's not a difficult dish to make and even more luckily, I created a recipe page just for you. You can scroll way down for that little gift. If you're up for being creative and winging it (which is encouraged), I suggest you throw your favorite fried rice and/or omelet ingredients into a frying pan and let loose. Things like bacon, diced carrot, bits of ham, green beans, chunks of cheese, zucchini, you get the idea. Oh, but one thing I insist is that you must squirt a little ketchup and Sriracha on top (yes, both). A little sweet and spice makes everything nice.

Oh, by the way, have I mentioned yet that I'm going to France in May? Well, I am. I outlined my whole itinerary on my travel blog, if you're interested in reading about that.

Here's the recipe page:

Comments