Bourbon Old Fashioned

Happy New Year's Eve! I don't have any fun plans today except maybe to sit around in my pajamas, have some yummy popcorn, work on a jigsaw puzzle, and maybe have a cocktail or two before falling asleep early. What, that doesn't sound fun to you? Well, it sounds great to me.

I don't know if I can truly pick out one favorite cocktail. I think my preference can be swayed by the season, the weather, the accompanying meal, the time of day; there are many factors. However, one drink I can always enjoy is a bourbon old fashioned. It's kind of classy because it's the most classic drink; it's the original cocktail.

The best old fashioned I ever had was in Louisville at a restaurant called Doc Crow's. I'm sure the bourbon the bartender used had a lot to do with it (considering Kentucky is known for its bourbon), but I think his mixology skills really brought it all home. My version doesn't hold a candle to the memory of that drink, but it hits the spot and the process of making it is kind of therapeutic and enjoyable.

Ingredients:
1 sugar cube
3 to 5 dashes bitters
2 oz. bourbon
2 large ice cubes
3" piece orange peel

Grab your preferred glass and toss in a sugar cube or two. Douse the sugar with bitters and muddle to break them up.
Throw in a few ice cubes, pour over the bourbon, and then squeeze the orange rind over the top to release the essential oils. Rub the peel around the rim before dropping it into the glass.
Give it a little stir and then it's bottoms up!
Sometimes I like a maraschino cherry in mine.
An old fashioned makes a wonderful accompaniment to a cheese board.
Cheers!

Comments