Belgian Waffles

I've been thinking a lot about the trip I took last December. One of the cities that really surprised me but also somehow didn't surprise me was Brussels. I knew I would like it but I think I didn't realize just how much. It was such a charmingly quaint city in terms of its architecture and the food was fantastic and I regret not having a larger stomach because I would have eaten so much more while I was there. Well, I guess it just means I'll have to go back.

One of my favorite little spots was Maison Dandoy, which is famous for its waffles and sweet treats. I bought a whole bunch of cookies to eat during my train journeys throughout Belgium and Germany as well as a few extra to lug home as well. The classic Belgian waffles I had at Maison Dandoy were so good; I ordered mine plain with just a light dusting of powdered sugar and that totally hit the spot. It's not easy to recreate those at home. They were so light and crisp but fluffy on the inside and my recipe comes close.
Ingredients [yields 6 to 8 waffles]:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
¾ cup heavy cream
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Start by sifting the flour, baking soda, baking powder,and salt. Next, separate the eggs. Set the whites aside. Into the yolks, whisk in milk, cream, canola oil, and sugar.
Whisk the dry ingredients into the yolk mixture just until it comes together.
Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
Gently fold the whites into the batter. The air beaten into the whites will lighten the batter and yield a fluffier waffle.
Preheat a waffle iron and then cook the waffles according to the manufacturer's instructions. And unless you're an industrial operation with multiple irons, you'll need to keep them warm as you continue to make them so keep them warm in a 200F oven.
Serve the waffles according to your preference with berries, stone fruit, maple syrup, and whatever else you like. I also made a little omelette and some maple-infused sausages for a really luxe breakfast experience.
I love how crisp the waffles are on the outside, how soft they are on the inside, the subtle sweetness, the golden color. It's such a satisfying thing to look at and even more satisfying to eat.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments