What I Ate: Korean Beef Bone Soup | Sullungtang (설렁탕)

I hope everyone is coping okay with this COVID-19 pandemic. It's a bizarre time right now, with all of the media surrounding it, idiots blatantly ignoring doctors' and scientists' recommendations for social distancing and infecting each other and making the issue worse, people adhering to doctors' and scientists' recommendations for self-quarantining and going stir-crazy, idiots hoarding meat and toilet paper and cleaning out entire departments in the grocery stores, nurses and doctors not having the proper PPE... it's intense and scary but if we all cooperate and do as we're told, we can get through this.

I started working from home last week and the plan is to stay at home as much as possible until things have well and truly calmed down. I'm staunchly of the mindset that it's best to minimize all interaction and there really is no point in even "checking in" in person at work because then that sort of defeats all of the social distancing I've subjected myself to thus far.

That being said, I'm still trying to keep up with blogging here and there. I haven't been posting as interesting content nor as often because I've been busy getting back into the habit of being an employed human but also because I've been doing this for so long (like almost a decade now) that I'm kind of running out of stamina. It's still a fun hobby for me, but it's also a lot of work to test recipes and take photos and edit them and put together a recipe page and then assemble everything into a post; I'm getting old and I think I'm low on creative energy.
I thought a nice, cozy soup would be a comforting thing to share while the entire earth's population is mildly freaking out.

I didn't develop the full level "milky" quality that sullungtang is supposed to have, but it still had the delicious taste and developed a ton of flavor. The recipe is pretty basic: just grab a bunch of ox bones (I buy beef marrow bones from my grocery store because they're so cheap) and boil the heck out of them for a few hours. It's necessary to maintain a rolling boil to emulsify the soup and achieve a milky-looking broth as opposed to simmering to get a resulting clear broth.
xoxo.

Comments