Naan Breakfast Rolls

I spent half of December abroad as a final hurrah before ending my self-imposed sabbatical. And here we are in January, specifically the 13th, which is my first day returning to work at a brand spankin' new job. I'm nervous to start something new, sad that I'm no longer on an indefinite break that simulated what I imagine retirement will be like, and excited for the unknown expanse that is the future.

Today's post is a nice one to celebrate my return to being an adult that makes money. I was inspired by a breakfast I enjoyed at an amazing Indian restaurant in London, called Dishoom, a place that I loved so much, I dined there thrice during my short time in the city. The actual breakfast I enjoyed was a simple naan roll that was made with a smear of cream cheese, a housemade chili sauce, and bacon rolled up into a burrito-style breakfast. I took it a step further with a few more ingredients. I also had no idea how they made their chili sauce but the flavor profile immediately reminded me of pepper jelly so that's what I used in its place. I also used yogurt instead of cream cheese because that's all I had on hand and I wanted something with a bit more acidity and less salt; I thought it would be a better saucy component on the roll.
Ingredients [for 1]:
1 to 2 oz. bacon
1 egg
1 pre-made naan
2 to 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1 to 2 tablespoons pepper jelly
3 sprigs cilantro, chopped
4 to 5 cherry tomatoes, halved

Start bacon in a cold pan and turn on the heat to medium. Slowly heating up the bacon will allow the fat to render. Cook the bacon until it's crisp.
Fry the egg in the bacon fat. I like to baste the egg with the fat to make the top bubble up and set the whites completely.
Drain the bacon and egg on a paper towel to wick away the excess grease.
Toast the naan until it's warmed through and crisp. Spread the yogurt all over the surface and follow up with the pepper jelly.
Top with the egg, crispy bacon, cilantro, and tomatoes.
Roll up and dig in. I love the acidity and creaminess of the yogurt which is a nice foil to the sweet and spicy pepper jelly. The crispy bacon and egg and fundamental breakfast ingredients. The tomato and cilantro give the whole thing brightness. And the fluffy naan wrapped up around all these amazing ingredients is the glue that holds it all together, literally.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments