Pok Pok-Inspired Cucumber Relish

When I was in Portland a couple of weeks ago, I hit up the iconic Pok Pok to get a plate of their famous fish sauce wings. I was there for lunch and I didn't want to be a complete glutton so I perused their menu for a vegetable dish. The cucumber relish immediately stood out to me as a good option but at the same time, I wondered if "relish" would really count as a vegetable. I flagged down one of the servers and he described it as a dish of lightly pickled cucumbers and rattled off all of the ingredients; I was sold.

The dish that arrived at my table was super colorful and it was delicious. It really jazzed up the meal and though their fish sauce wings were really satisfying, I was so pleased with that cooling, palate-cleansing bite from the relish that it's what really stuck in my mind after the meal was over.
And by the way, I have my own fish sauce wings recipe, which aren't quite the same, but in the same family of flavors and get the job done.

Ingredients:
2 to 3 kirby cucumbers
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Thai chilis, sliced
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons palm sugar
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon fish sauce

This recipe is so simple, I wondered whether or not it deserved its own post but you know what? Considering it left such a strong impression on me, I guess it totally does.

Start by cutting the cucumber into quarters the long way and then slicing them perpendicular against the initial cuts. You're looking for slices that are thin enough that they'll easily soak up all of the seasonings and get slightly pickled in the short amount of time that they'll sit before you eat them, but thick enough that they retain a nice crunchy texture.

The type of cucumber is pretty important here as well. I used kirby cucumbers from my garden, which worked out wonderfully. I think they've got enough wateriness that they help contribute moisture to the brine and they have a great crunch. Persian cucumbers are a little too tender and delicate for this dish, in my opinion, but can work in a pinch. If you're using Persian cucumbers, I would recommend cutting them into slightly thicker pieces.
Add the chopped cucumbers and the rest of the ingredients to a large bowl and gently toss together to evenly distribute everything. Set aside and chill for about an hour just to let the flavors really meld and come together and to allow the cucumbers and onions to pickle slightly.
This is a punchy little side dish that I think is pretty versatile. I served it with a Vietnamese-inspired meal but I think this would be delicious as a side dish for fried chicken, with a seared pork chop, with grilled fish, the possibilities are endless.

I enjoy the crunch, the brightness from the vinegar, the hit of spice from the Thai chilis, there's sweetness from the palm sugar, saltiness from the fish sauce, and it's just a lovely, balanced dish.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments