Sauteed Brussels Sprouts

¡Hola! ¡Estoy en Colombia ahora! I flew into Bogota last Thursday and today I'm flying to Medellin. I'm so excited to be here and I'm hoping to learn how to make some authentic Colombian dishes (I'm looking at you arepas) and come back with some more exciting recipes to post.

The recipe I'm sharing today is barely a recipe. It's just a preparation of brussels sprouts that I've been enjoying lately. I was too lazy to clean a sheet pan so I decided to just cut a bag of brussels into ribbons and saute them in a pan until they were super toasty and crisp. It's pretty quick and though what you start with seems much more generous than the final yield (they really cook down), it's a pretty rich vegetable dish so I don't think you need to eat an exorbitant pile to feel satisfied. I love eating these sprouts as a side with a good steak, piled onto a chicken cutlet sandwich, or even just on top of rice.
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ lb. brussels sprouts
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon garlic powder

Is it even worth sharing this? It's so easy. Basically, chop up a bunch of brussels sprouts into ribbons (just slice the sprout into thin pieces). Then, heat up a pan over medium high and drizzle the pan with a generous amount of oil. Add sprouts to the pan in a single layer. You don't want to crowd the pan or else they'll just steam.
Add seasonings to the sprouts and cook until they start to turn a lovely golden brown and crispy. And that's it; they're done.
This time, we enjoyed the sauteed brussels sprouts with a big pan of spicy chorizo jambalaya. The sprouts have a great texture. There are tender bits, crispy bits, crunchy bits and they're a little salty, a little spicy, and I think they're delicious.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments