What I Ate: Smash Burgers

I've been obsessed with the Bon Appetit youtube channel lately. I always save videos to my 'watch later' playlist so I can gorge on food videos while I'm doing cardio at the gym. I've probably watched one particular video twenty-six times at this point; it's Carla making smash burgers. There was one morning that I couldn't shake the craving for burgers and instead of doing work, I rewatched this video four times in a row and then went to lunch with my coworker and got, you guessed it, burgers. That burger didn't completely satisfy my craving though. It was just a temporary fix. A few days later, I made them for dinner and it was sublime.

I'm telling you, it's lucky I was such a loser in high school and was never offered drugs because I'd be a full on addict. My personality and disposition is such that I v. easily become obsessed with things. Also, as my sister will attest, I have the 'too much' gene and have a really hard time giving up; as the kids say, I'm really "extra."
This is a 'what I ate' post so I don't have step-by-step directions. Just go look at the Bon Appetit video. It'll tell you everything you need to know.

I made my own special sauce by making my own mayo and mixing in finely diced onion, grated garlic, chopped cornichons, chopped bread & butter pickle slices, ketchup, hot sauce, and dijon mustard.
The burgers were seared on a screaming hot cast iron skillet.
Per Carla's instructions, I used American cheese, but not the processed pre-sliced kind. It was the slightly fancier deli kind.
I also blended up some strawberry milkshakes because if I'm going to make a Shake Shack-inspired meal, I'm going to do it all the way.
And of course we had some salad because one cannot thrive on junk food alone; if one wants to live another day (so as to be able to enjoy even more junk food) one must get some real sustenance and vitamins and sh*t by eating some vegetables. And we also had a big pile of curly fries because hello, what kind of monster eats a burger without some kind of fried potato product on the side?
The burgers were flavorful and juicy and decadent and greasy and everything I wanted. It totally hit the spot, but only temporarily because I wanted another burger like two days later.
xoxo.

Comments