George Michael Eats: Peanut Butter Biscuits

I gave myself a little pause on this blog because this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby and there aren't supposed to be any rules or schedules. I think from now on, I'll just be posting occasionally when the mood strikes and when I have something that's actually worth sharing. I mean, I think it's obvious that my passion for this has slowed; I went from posting every weekday to every other day to once a week and to whatever I'm doing now.

That being said, I'm returning from my hiatus with a really fun post. It's become a tradition to make a homemade treat for my dog, George Michael, on his birthday. I'm a bad mom and I don't remember his actual birthdate so I've been saying it's the same as mine. So, every year, we just celebrate his birthday on Thanksgiving. Usually, his cousin Coco comes over so it's a nice opportunity for him to share his birthday treats with a friend (or tolerable acquaintance).

In 2016 I made a full on cake, which in retrospect, I should have maybe saved for 2017 because GM turned 10, which is kind of a milestone birthday. However, 2017 was also the year we wanted to have the most low-key, low-maintenance Thanksgiving (complete with full on pajamas as our holiday outfits) so a quick little biscuit seemed like the most appropriate endeavor.
Ingredients:
½ cup natural peanut butter (no added oil, salt, or sugar)
1 egg, room temperature
½ cup natural applesauce (no added sugar)
¼ cup milk
¼ cup rolled oats
¼ cup finely chopped carrots
¾ cup flour


Start by beating together the peanut butter and the egg. Natural peanut butter needs to be kept in the fridge, which gives it a hard consistency so if you have the time, let it come to room temperature and this step will be infinitely easier.
Add in the applesauce and the egg and stir to combine.
Next up is the dry ingredients. Stir in the oats and carrots and then gently stir in the flour until a stiff dough forms. You'll likely have to finish this up by hand.

Roll out the dough to about ¼" thick and then cut out using whatever shapes you like. I went for dog bones and hydrants. Lay the biscuits onto a parchment-lined sheet pan.
Bake at 325F for 25 to 30 minutes or until the biscuits are dry and crunchy. Let cool completely before serving to your favorite pooch.

Any leftovers can be stored in airtight containers or baggies and should be kept in the fridge. No preservatives means a shorter shelf life so these will only keep for about two weeks. So, if your pup can't finish them in that timeframe, hand some out to his/her friends!
Here's the recipe page:

Comments