Arroz Amarillo

This super flavorful rice has been a new favorite in our house. I've always loved the little Goya boxes of yellow rice but it was annoying to buy the individual boxes when we had bulk rice in the pantry. So, I ended up just purchasing the Goya chicken bouillon and adding it to normal rice and the result was a deliciously salty rice that almost rivaled the boxed stuff.

My version wasn't quite as yellow probably because the ratio of bouillon to rice was less than it is in the box. But I'm not keen on having quite that much sodium. I have experimented with adding a pinch of turmeric and it does make the rice punchier and brighter, but I don't think it's all that necessary.
Ingredients [serves 4]:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups long grain rice
1 packet chicken bouillon
2 cups water

This is a stupidly simple recipe. Start by adding butter and lots of minced garlic to a saucepan over medium heat and cook for a few minutes until the garlic is fragrant.
Add in the rice and toast for a couple of minutes. Stir to make sure each grain is coated in fat; this will ensure a fluffy rice instead of a gummy rice.
Pour in a packet of bouillon and water and stir. Bring the rice to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and pop a lid on the pot. Let the rice cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the water is completely absorbed and the rice is tender.
Fluff up the rice gently before serving.
I made beer-battered chilean sea bass, grilled corn, pico de gallo, and mango salsa to accompany the rice. And yes, I say "accompany the rice" because it's the star of the plate for me. It's flavorful, and really comforting (carbs are always comforting), and I could totally enjoy it on its own but at the same time, it's subtle enough to not compete with the other dishes.
This rice is also awesome when it's jazzed up with lime zest, lime juice, chopped cilantro, and scallions. It's like Chipotle's cilantro lime rice, but better.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments