Braised Potato Side Dish | Gamja Jorim (감자 조림)

Because of my sister's recently discovered potato allergy, I haven't been making them much lately. However, on a recent trip to Trader Joe's, we found a little bag of the cutest tiny baby potatoes and I had to get them.

I decided to make a Korean-style side dish with them. I shared a version of this dish a few years ago but have since updated the recipe.
Ingredients:
1 lb. baby potatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 jalapeno, sliced
½ teaspoon sesame seeds

Start by chopping up the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and dropping them into a saucepan. Some of the potatoes were already tiny and didn't need any modifying but there were a few longer ones that got chopped into thirds.

Cover the potatoes with water and then pop it onto a low heat and cover. When the water comes to a boil, remove the lid. Let the potatoes cook for about 10 minutes or until they're just shy of being tender.
Drain off most of the water, leaving about ¼ cup behind.
Return the pot to the stove.
Mix together the seasonings: minced garlic, hot pepper flakes, soy sauce, sesame oil, golden syrup, and sliced peppers.
Pour the seasonings into the saucepan and give the potatoes a good stir. Then, let the potatoes slowly cook, stirring every once in a while, until the sauce is absorbed and the potatoes are tender.
Scoop the potatoes out into a pretty dish and garnish with some sesame seeds. Let the dish cool before serving.
The potatoes joined some julienned radish kimchi, ahl jjigae (with enoki mushrooms), and cucumber kimchi.

The potatoes are slightly sweet, savory, and just a little spicy and they're so good even when they're cold out of the fridge.

Here's the recipe page:

Comments

  1. A potato allergy?! Man I wouldn't do well with that! These potatoes look amazing and I want to try them this way. I usually roast mine in the oven with regular and spicy olive oil, garlic, onion powder, salt, and rosemary because it's easy, but this is so different I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, having a potato allergy is like a cruel joke.

      This is one of my favorite Korean side dishes! I hope you enjoy :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!