Peach Sangria

Okay, so lately, I've been trying to eat better, drink better, and exercise a bit. This "lifestyle change" occurred because as I was doing my annual closet clean out (making donation piles), I found a dress I bought right out of college (that apparently escaped disposal the past few years) that was tiny. It was a non-stretch fabric, size 2 H&M dress; and if you know H&M, you know their sizing runs small. I couldn't believe how small I used to be. It was kind of the final straw of me thinking I can still live like a youthful, fast metabolism-ed, burger guzzling tween. At age 28, I can't get away with what I could in my college days without gaining loads of weight. So, I decided that I was going to amp up my exercise routine (by actually exercising) and I was going to start eating better.

The problem was (and is) that I loathe exercising. I mean, I love a good hike, I love a good bike, and I really enjoy swimming but none of those are all that convenient for me on a weeknight when I get home from a 10 hour workday. To entice myself into moving my body, I put on American Horror Story and do a little pilates and yoga routine through an entire episode. That's 45 minutes of working out but I'm so distracted by the plot line, I don't even care that my abs are getting sore.

As far as my diet is concerned, I've found that exercising gives me more energy and my body craves good-for-me foods so I haven't even had to consciously change anything. I always drink lots of water, I love my green smoothies, and I like to indulge in a peach for my mid-morning snack instead of my usual sugary cereal. And, I've seen really good changes in my body, even just after two weeks. For one, that flappy arm skin isn't so flappy anymore. My skinny jeans should maybe be called loose jeans, My skin is positively glowing. And best of all, I feel really good. I'm never going to be the type of girl who signs up for gym memberships and soulcycle and hot yoga, but I am going to start and advertise exercise, if only as a way to get really good skin.

But, just because I'm trying to be healthier doesn't mean that I can't occasionally treat myself with delicious foods. You aren't going to see a huge change on this blog or anything. It's just me, making small, permanent changes to my lifestyle in order to be happier.

Now that that long intro/personal story is out of the way, I want to talk to you about one of the treats I've been indulging in, even with my healthier lifestyle: sangria, specifically peach sangria. Peaches have been my favorite fruit for as long as I can remember. I love the fuzzy skins, the juicy texture, and the delicious floral flavor. I can even appreciate artificial peach flavor; peach ring gummies are so good! Well, combine this delicious fruit with wine and I am in heaven.
Ingredients [yields 4 to 6 servings]:
1 ripe peach
1 lime
1 lemon
3 tablespoons honey
bottle of white wine (I prefer something light and fruity like a Riesling or Moscato)

Sangria is seriously easy and the longer it sits, the better it is.
Start by slicing up half the lime and half the lemon. Pop the slices into a pitcher and then squeeze in the juice of the remaining halves.
Cut up the peaches and drop the chunks into the pitcher too.
Squeeze in a little honey. I like honey because it's a floral sweetener that complements the fruit and the wine.
Top off the fruit with lots of chilled wine and give it a quick stir. If you're good and patient, let the sangria steep for a few hours in the fridge so that the wine takes on some of the flavors of the fruit and the fruit takes on some of the flavors of the wine.
Pour the sangria over ice and serve.
I love peach sangria. It's super fruity and girly and refreshing. I will seriously chug this like water on a hot summer day. You know how I said it yields 4 to 6 servings? All of those servings are for me.
xoxo.

Comments