Nutella Hot Chocolate

I shared a hot chocolate recipe about a month ago but it's time for another one. I mean, it's winter time, the weather is cold, and drinking warm treats just makes the world seem like a cozier place. Yesterday morning, I was dreaming about this hot chocolate as I was scraping ice off of my car.

The special thing about today's hot chocolate recipe is that it's flavored with Nutella. If you don't know, Nutella is a chocolate hazelnut spread and it's so delicious. I'm an incredibly big fan (seriously like one of those obsessive fan-girl freak out fans like omg) because I'm allergic to peanuts so while everyone else ate peanut butter sandwiches, I'd have Nutella sandwiches instead, but that has nothing to do with this recipe so I should move on.

Some winter nights, I want to have something sweet after dinner but I don't necessarily want to chow down on a piece of cake, and that's where this drink comes in. It's sweet and decadent without being too over the top and that little hint of Nutella makes it feel extra indulgent.
Ingredients:
1 cup milk (cow milk, skim milk, almond milk, etc.)
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
1 tablespoon Nutella
pinch of salt
+ marshmallows for garnish

*P.S. If you have a big sweet tooth, you can add in more chocolate and/or Nutella. Just don't go overboard, as you will end up with a ganache instead of a drink.

Start by combining 1/4 cup of your milk, the Nutella, chocolate chips, and salt in a sauce pan. Heat it up over a low flame, whisking constantly until the chocolate and Nutella are dissolved. The reason I like to use just a little bit of milk is that it makes the melting process go a little quicker and smoother.

Then, add in the rest of your milk and heat until warmed through. I don't like it to be scalding hot so I just heat it up until I start to see a little steam coming off the top. If you're going to be pouring this into a travel mug or you like scorching hot drinks, then heat until scalding, by all means. No one's forcing you to follow what I did exactly. By the way, if your sweet tooth is on the smaller side or if the hot chocolate seems too rich, you can substitute a little water for the milk - do half water, half milk - and that will cut down on the richness without sacrificing the chocolaty flavors.
I decided to toast my marshmallows but that decision is up to you. If you're not a mallow fan, how about some whipped cream? Or, you can say, "Screw it!" to all topping options and be a purist. The hot chocolate is decadent and delicious enough on its own.
Pour out your hot chocolate into a mug and top with the marshmallows (or whipped cream or nothing) and enjoy.
MY GOODNESS. How cute is that? The answer is, "very," if you didn't know. The hot chocolate itself is sweet and you can definitely taste the Nutella, but the best part, in my opinion, is that little addition of salt. It just elevates the chocolaty, nutty flavor from great to phenomenal.
I just love when the marshmallows start to melt into the hot chocolate. I feel like this is a visual representation of love. Am I crazy? No, you're crazy.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments