Moscow Mule

I'm not a fan of root beer but I love ginger beer. I particularly enjoy ones that lean more spicy and assertive in its fresh ginger flavor. I've been trying out loads of different brands, trying to figure out which one I like best. Most recently, I tried Cock 'N Bull brand, which I thought was pretty delicious. I've been loving having ginger beer as a happy hour mocktail.

I started this year "dry" and am trying to stick to it, at least through winter, just because I didn't like feeling so reliant on alcohol. With the mental toll of the pandemic, I found myself looking forward to the buzz of alcohol after work way too often and started to view it as a crutch. It's just not something I personally view as healthy behavior myself. That being said, I think making the act of having a drink something a bit more special, specifically by turning it into a fun routine by whipping up a jazzy cocktail, is something I'm thinking will be nice to incorporate into my life.

Though I love an Old Fashioned, it's a rather strong drink and not really thirst-quenching. I think a Moscow Mule makes for a really nice beverage to accompany a meal or to kick off a happy hour and it seems to be appropriate in any season.

Ingredients:
ice
2 oz. vodka
¼ lime, juiced
3 to 4 slices fresh ginger
sprig of mint
4 oz. ginger beer
Start by filling a copper mug with ice. The copper mug isn't compulsory, but it's traditional. It's also great at keeping the drink ice-friggin'-cold. Pour vodka over the ice and then squeeze in some lime juice. Throw the squeezed lime wedge right into the glass; the essential oils from the zest adds lots of great flavor. Bruise the ginger slices by bending them back and forth, which will help release more spicy ginger taste, and toss into the mug. Bruise the mint by slapping it on your palm and squeezing the sprig and then add to the mug. Top off with ginger beer and serve.
There's no need to stir, because the carbonation of the soda will do that for you. I like drinking my Mules with a straw; no risk of sloshing the slices of ginger or mint onto my nose as I sip. However, I think I'd miss the experience of touching my lips to an ice cold mug so I always opt for a metal straw, which is a great surrogate for that feeling.
Moscow Mules basically just taste like ginger beer, but they're just a little more dangerous because they have vodka. I love adding in lots of lime and mint and ginger to amp up the flavor as well.
I served these Moscow Mules with some roast pork and roast veggies and it was great. The ginger beer added a spice and brightness to a meal that could've otherwise felt kind of heavy.

xoxo.

Comments