George Michael Eats: Pumpkin Pies & Apple Tartlets

Another year, another birthday celebration for my beloved son, George Michael! He turned 11 this year and I wanted to try making something a little more atypical. Dog biscuits and pupcakes and full on cakes have been done before (in general; other than just by me) so I decided I wanted to make pies because I don't think I've actually seen pies for pups.
Ingredients:
dough
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon coconut oil
¼ cup cold water

pumpkin filling
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 egg
2 tablespoons yogurt
4 baby carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons ground turkey giblets
2 teaspoons steel cut oats

apple filling
1 small apple, sliced
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons yogurt
2 teaspoons steel cut oats
2 tablespoons ground turkey giblets

Start by making the dough. Pulse together the flour and coconut oil in a food processor and then drizzle in the water and pulse until a cohesive dough forms.
Wrap the dough in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the fillings. I ground up the turkey giblets in the food processor until smooth. (I actually made these the Wednesday before Thanksgiving - that's the day we always celebrate GM's birthday - and I had these leftover. If you don't have turkey giblets, just use ground turkey or chicken livers or any dog-safe protein leftovers you may have.)
For the pumpkin filling, combine pumpkin puree, yogurt, egg, some of the ground up turkey, oats, and chopped up carrots. Stir together until smooth.
For the apple tarts, make a filling using yogurt, peanut butter, oats, and turkey giblets.
Portion the dough according to the sizes of your pans, roll out, and press into greased pans.
Add the pumpkin filling to the dough-lined pans.
For the apple tarts, spread filling in the bottom and top with apple slices.
I finished off one pie with a lattice and I left the apple exposed on the other.
I decided to top the pumpkin pies with little stars because I had leftover dough.

Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until the filling is set and dough is cooked through.
Let the pastries cool completely before letting your pooch enjoy.
GM is such a good puppy for indulging me in these ridiculous photoshoots.
He's also a really patient dog. If I set a treat down in front of him and tell him to wait, he actually listens.
Although, after five minutes of pictures, he started to lose his patience and started licking the air around his desserts.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments