What I Ate: Jalapeno & Cheese Empanadas

There's a little Mexican eatery in my town called 'Delicias Latinas' that is truly delicious. We love patronizing this spot because it's a lovely small business and they do wonderful food and we want to support that vibe. I love their maduros (sweet plantains) that they dress up with melted cheese and cream, their hot sauces are so good, and I really love their empanadas.

Whilst grocery shopping, I saw empanada wrappers in the frozen food aisle and I was inspired to make some copycat empanadas. I ended up eating them with some of the leftover sauces from 'Delicias Latinas' and it was a delicious lunch.

For the filling, I just sauteed some onions, garlic, and jalapenos. I stirred them into cream cheese with some cubed up melty cheese; I've used both Monterey jack and cheddar and both are fantastic. I filled the (defrosted) empanada wrappers, used a little water on the edge to help make a seal, and did a little crimping to make them look pretty. Then, the whole thing went into the fryer to sizzle up and go golden brown.

These freeze decently and make a great microwaved lunch (at work; we don't have a microwave at home).

xoxo.

Comments