Garden 2020

I know it's kind of late but I just wanted to share some snapshots from the garden this year.

The compost bin surprised us with a couple of productive plants, including a butternut squash and loads of tomatoes. We also planted a few zucchini plants (it seemed like the garden supply store either didn't have the time or the staff to weed out their seedlings so we got so many extra plants for free) and collard greens, eggplant, our usual hoard of spicy peppers, and we planted kale, bok choy, and cucumbers from seed and they all did really well. I have to thank quarantine for giving me enough time to take care of seeds. Working from home was great for gardening. And honestly, gardening was great for working from home. When I was in the office, if I wanted to take a break, I'd go outside into the dreary-looking parking lot. When I was working from home and I needed a break, I'd go outside and breathe in fresh air in my garden and enjoy the greenery and watching the plants make progress was so rewarding, especially in a weird time of such uncertainty.

We had some sugar snap peas that were thriving for a while but then deer came and chomped off a bunch of the vines. Too bad the critters were extra hungry this year. We didn't get to enjoy many tomatoes because of thieving chipmunks. Birds attacked our grapes. And I don't know what ate all of our raspberries.

I also grew Thai chili peppers from seed and planted them in the garden bed but my sister accidentally pulled them out, thinking they were weeds. I'm still bitter about that. I did leave three to continue growing indoors; I'm hoping they'll remain indoor plants and bear more than one tiny pepper (which is all it's done so far).

We also had lavender and I managed to collect enough to fill a sachet. Our fig tree made dozens of figs this year.

xoxo.

Comments