racheerachh eats: The Cookbook

You guys! I wrote a cookbook. None of the recipes are new, though a few of them have received some tweaks and additional notes, so it's not like you'd get special new dishes to make by purchasing the book. However, it has a sort of autobiographical vibe with loads of anecdotes and stories from my youth, childhood photos, and a bunch of watercolors and sketches.

It's really fun for me to be able to share this project that I worked on during my little funemployment stint as I move onto the next phase of my career. I just accepted a new job offer and as long as the background check goes okay, I'll go back to being an employed adult come 2020.
If you're interested, you can buy the book directly from the Barnes & Noble website.

It's kind of pricey, but full disclosure, $26.78 is the cheapest I could list it for and I only make $1.35 profit from each sale. The sales model for self-publishing is not that forgiving and it's pretty selfish on B&N's end because they take 45% for what they call "retail and distribution" and they say that you get 55% of the profits, minus the printing cost, so that really leaves pennies in the end. I ended up learning a lot about self-publishing and really feel for all of the independent writers who are trying to make a living this way. Though, I also have to add that my book is also quite a bit more expensive than a novel because it's got a lot of color printing.

Also, just an FYI, if you're in the States, the book qualifies for free shipping if you spend $35, so why not pick up a few extra books, maybe things you want to read, gifts for the holiday season, while you're at it?
The paper quality is actually heavyweight and nice, but I feel like cookbooks typically have glossy paper. Unfortunately that wasn't an option so the resultant book wasn't 100% up to my standards but at the same time, this is just a fun personal project so I am allowing myself to be reasonably picky about the aesthetics and ultimately, I'm v. proud of this project.
I'm also working on getting an e-book version together. I really don't know how the pricing structure for that will work (I'm planning on doing it through iBooks and I'm still waiting on some tax-related approvals so I haven't been able to dig into it too much just yet) but I'm sure it'll be much more affordable. I will update you when that is ready.

UPDATE: Here's the link to the e-book! I was able to make it much cheaper via iBooks so it's $4.99 (USD), which is much more affordable and if I can be completely honest, I'm not 100% sure how the profits work, but I'm pretty sure I get most of that.

Thank you, everyone!

xoxo.

Comments

  1. This is amazing. I bought myself a copy and I am so impressed - the family anecdotes are so lovely to read and I cannot wait to try some recipes. I obviously read your blog religiously but having a solid cookbook in my kitchen is just so fun to have <3 <3 <3 Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so touched by your compliments!!! When I was putting this together, it was purely selfish and super personal so when I get positive feedback from the people I love, it makes me feel really validated (which just furthers my selfish agenda, haha). Thank you!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!