Cheesy Vegetarian Enchiladas

Trader Joe's makes an amazing cheesy enchilada so for a while, that was what I was using to satisfy my enchilada cravings. But, I was only eating those for lunch at work, not only because they were easy but because I don't have a microwave at home.

So, when an enchilada craving recently struck, I found myself realizing I could make a similar version on my own without the help of ol' Chef Mike Ro Wave. That Trader Joe's flavor profile was what I was striving for. The only modification I made was to add some black beans, just to bulk up the meal and make it a more substantial dinner.
Ingredients [serves 4]:

enchilada sauce
2 tablespoons canola oil
¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water

enchiladas
12 corn tortillas
8 oz. shredded cheese
15 oz. can black beans, drained
1 oz. queso fresco
1 scallion, chopped

Heat a saucepan over low and add oil and cumin seeds. Bloom the cumin seeds for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
Add flour, chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and salt and stir to combine. Stir the roux for 3 to 4 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste and also to toast the spices.
Add tomato sauce and water and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens and deepens in color. Allow the sauce to cool slightly before using so you won't burn your fingers.
I made my own corn tortillas but store-bought are great here. Normally I'm not a fan of premade, store-bought corn tortillas because they're kind of dry and crumbly but enchiladas get the sauce treatment and the baking treatment and there's enough going on to revive the sad tortillas into delicious ones.
To make the enchiladas, dip a tortilla in the sauce, sprinkle a little cheese and a few beans in the center, roll it up, and place it seam-side-down on a baking tray. Repeat with all of the tortillas and then top the whole thing with more cheese and more beans. Bake in a 350F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cheese melts, everything heats through, and the edges of the tortillas start to crisp up.
Sprinkle the top with scallions and crumbled queso fresco and serve hot.
These enchiladas totally hit the spot. They're supremely cheesy, the sauce has a nice spice and deep flavor, the corn flavor of the tortillas shines through, and they're so easy to make. I served these with a plate of roasted vegetables (mainly broccoli) and some pico de gallo.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments