Garden 2019

I just realized I never shared any shots of this year's garden. We stuck to our usual hot peppers and cucumbers but we brought back brussels sprouts, bought a new fig tree after ours died a couple years ago, planted our favorite herbs: sweet basil, Thai basil, cilantro, and dill. And when the cilantro flowered, seeded, and died (I saved the coriander seeds), I replaced it with a chamomile plant that I found at the garden center on sale for just $0.99, which is so cheap, I couldn't resist even though I have no idea if I'll end up doing anything with it.

I found a san marzano tomato plant so we also gave that a go. We gave up on tomatoes several years ago because squirrels, birds, and chipmunks always went after the tomatoes before they even had a chance to ripen but this year, I wrapped the plant up in netting and when that wasn't enough, I surrounded the tomato in mint, which is supposed to be a natural rodent repeller so we'll see if we end up being able to actually harvest any.
We also planted some mosquito repelling plants in pots so they would be portable and we could drag them near us whenever we're outside grilling or working in the garden. Our favorite mosquito repellers are citronella, lavender, and rosemary. And our little wildflower patch was just mildly successful this year, but it was mostly weeds. Actually, the weeds were really horrible this year; it was so annoying.

xoxo.

Comments