Sudado de Pollo (Colombian Chicken Stew)

I'm off to Japan this morning! I resigned from my job in April and now I'm funemployed and I'm taking a break for a few months to refresh and figure out what I really want to do with my life. I'll be spending my time traveling and working on my hobbies. I'm planning on putting together a little cookbook, not to sell or anything, just for myself and maybe to give out as really narcissistic gifts to my close friends and family? I don't know yet.

Anyway, in the spirit of travel, I'm sharing a recipe inspired by my recent trip to Colombia. My v. first lunch there at my friend L's house, I was served a plate piled with rice and an unfamiliar chicken dish. After my first bite, I was in love and I immediately asked how it was made. L said that this chicken stew is her favorite dish and every time she tried to make this while she was living in the States, it never tasted like home. I honestly don't know if mine tastes exactly like her mom's but I really like how this came out. We scraped every last bit out of the pot so it was a hit.
Ingredients [serves 4]:
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ onion, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, smashed
2 lbs. chicken wings
1 lb. yukon gold potatoes
1 lb. tomatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 bay leaves
4 cups water
1 cup frozen peas
Start by chopping up an onion and smashing up some garlic and roughly chopping it.
Get a pot heating over medium high and add oil.
Toss in the onions, garlic, and wings. I know it's kind of weird to use wings but the sudado that I had in Colombia was made with chicken wings and I think they bring a lot of flavor to the mix. There's loads of yummy collagen and gelatin in them that thickens the stew nicely.
Chop up the potatoes and tomatoes.
Add the tomatoes, potatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and turmeric to the pot and then top off with water.
Bring the whole thing to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours or until the chicken is completely cooked through, super tender, and the stock is reduced.
Right before you're ready to serve, add in the peas and gently stir just to warm them through. The gentle part is crucial because at this point, the chicken should be so incredibly tender that it'll be falling off the bone.
Serve with rice and veggies and you have a delicious, homey meal. We had ours with this amazing Brazilian hot pepper sauce that my former boss gifted me. I need to find out how to source those peppers and how to make the sauce because when I run out, I'll be devastated.
The chicken is incredibly tender and even though this dish only needs a few ingredients and spices, it's incredibly flavorful. I love the way the potato absorbs the sauce, the bursts of sweetness from the peas, and the rich acidity from the tomatoes. I think this will become a staple in our house, particularly in the colder months when we're craving a little bit of comfort and warmth.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments