Breakfast Burritos

Mexican food and any food that is inspired by Mexican food is forever soured to me. Okay, not really, but a few years ago when I was going to the American southwest, I shared my itinerary on social media and this guy I know from college pooped all over it saying it was too ambitious. And then when I said I was excited to eat Mexican food closer to the border than my place of residence (the American northeast), he was all snotty and said something like, "If you want Mexican food, just go to Mexico." Okay, sorry, you dumb bougie b*tch. Yeah, and the next time I'm craving pho, I'll just book a flight to Vietnam. Idiot.

Anyway, What a long-winded introduction to this post about breakfast burritos which is not authentic to Mexico at all except maybe the homemade black beans. I love burritos in general because they're such a portable food, you can customize them rather easily, and they can be whipped up so quickly. This isn't necessarily how I always make my breakfast burritos; I wrote this post to match the accompanying photos. However, the main staples of a good breakfast burrito (for me) are fluffy scrambled eggs, cheese, and hot sauce; everything else is just a bonus.
Ingredients:
4 tortillas
4 eggs
1 tablespoon butter
1 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
1 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
1 teaspoon oil
1 poblano pepper
¼ onion
+ black beans
+ cilantro
+ pico de gallo
+ sour cream
+ jalapenos
+ hot sauce

Chop up the peppers and onions and saute them in a hot pan with a little oil until the veggies start to take on a little color.
While the vegetables are sweating it out, mix up a batch of pico and get the other accoutrements prepared (i.e. grate the cheese).
Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them up. The goal is not to whip air into them; you just want a nice, homogenous mixture.
Warm a nonstick pan over low heat and melt in a generous knob of butter. Pour the eggs into the pan.
As the edges start to set, use a spatula to gently scrape the cooked edges towards the center. The goal is to get some gorgeously big curds.
Once the eggs are just shy of being completely set, remove from the heat. Any runny bits will finish cooking from the residual heat.
Add a nice pile of eggs to each tortilla and top with cheese, peppers & onions, beans, and cilantro.
This step is optional, but I like to heat the burritos up on a hot skillet to lightly toast the tortilla and to make sure the cheese is fully melted and ooey gooey.
Serve with a refreshing pile of pico, some sliced jalapenos, cool sour cream, spicy hot sauce, and dig in.
I like to shake on a little hot sauce, spoon on some sour cream, and nestle some pico on top of each bite.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments