Chicken Burgers

I'm not the biggest fan of burgers made from anything other than beef and the occasional veggie. However, a few weeks ago, I went out to lunch and ordered a chicken burger off of the specials menu all because of one ingredient: honey mustard. I was craving chicken fingers and honey mustard but didn't want to eat something so greasy and heavy for lunch so when I saw that the lunch special chicken burger had honey mustard on it, I thought that it'd be a nice alternative.

It was a great choice because the burger was actually really flavorful and it totally hit the spot and a week later, I was trying to recreate it at home.
Ingredients [serves 4]:
1 lb. ground chicken
½ bell pepper, diced
¼ onion, diced
2 scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
+ 4 buns
+ cheese
+ honey mustard
+ thinly sliced red onion
+ lettuce
+ sliced tomato

I was a little extra about this whole meal and made my own buns, namely because I'd forgotten to get some during the weekly shop and it was rainy out so baking seemed like a nice way to spend the afternoon.
Start by finely dicing the onion, pepper, scallions, and garlic and add to a bowl with the ground chicken.
Season with salt and pepper, Worcestershire, add in breadcrumbs, and crack in an egg. Massage gently to combine all of the ingredients together.
Portion the burgers into four even blobs and then shape into patties and cook on a hot skillet.
The burgers should be cooked on a medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes per side until beautifully browned. Use a food thermometer to make sure the internal temperature is 165F before tossing on a few slices of cheese to melt on top.
I didn't toast my buns because they were freshly baked but had they been a day old, I would've popped them in the toaster.
Slather the buns with honey mustard and top with thinly sliced onion, tomato slices, and a handful of greens. I like using peppery mesclun greens rather than thick, watery iceberg, but hey, it's up to you.
Serve up while they're still good and hot. I also fried up some yuca (like fries) and we had a nice salad to accompany the burgers. I think that adding in vegetables and seasonings to the ground chicken yields a pretty juicy, flavorful burger (compared to the dry, sad mess you might have if the patty was only ground chicken with nothing else).
Here's the recipe page:

Comments