Kimchi Jjigae (김치 찌개) (2)

Okay, so, I made this kimchi jjigae dead in the middle of summer but I saved the post for mid-September when it would seem more relevant.

It's pretty dumb to make a hot dish in a hot season but there are some occasions where it works. For instance, even though it was the middle of summer, there was a storm a few months ago (I think his name was Arthur) passing through which caused a cool spell. The whole family was off from work (it was the weekend) so I needed to whip together lunch and my sister suggested kimchi jjigae. Since my old kimchi jjigae post is friggin' ugly, I thought I'd document it and share a prettier version.
Ingredients:
2 cups kimchi
½ to ¾ cup water
+ canned tuna in oil
+ noodles

This recipe is just so super easy, it's kind of stupid to share but here goes! Start by putting the kimchi in a stone pot, if you have one, or a small saucepan. Add enough water to just cover the kimchi and then cook over a low heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until the kimchi has turned somewhat translucent and the red of the hot pepper flakes has gone from a vibrant fire hydrant color to a dull maroon-ish color.

This is optional, but in my family, we always like to add in some sort of noodle (sweet potato starch noodles or ramen or udon) and canned tuna (packed in oil).
Chuck the noodles in first and give them a chance to cook a bit before you add in the tuna.
Spoon some of the soup over the tuna and cook for a few minutes to warm it through.
Serve while the pot is piping hot with sticky white rice and enjoy!
Here's the recipe page:

Comments