Blackberry Cobbler

My food cravings can be crazy intense. I'll be watching television and a commercial for fried chicken comes on and that's all I can think about until I finally eat some fried chicken. It's like I'm pregnant but I'm not (thank goodness). Anyway, that's how this blackberry cobbler happened. I was watching television, there was a cobbler on the screen, and I decided I had to make some, right then and there. Am I a freak? Probably, and that's okay with me.
Ingredients:
1 lb. blackberries, fresh or frozen (or another fruit of your choice)
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ stick of butter (¼ cup or 4 tablespoons)
½ cup cream (or milk)
1 egg
honey
1 tablespoon raw sugar

Start by adding the berries to a bowl and sprinkle in 1/4 sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice and then mix everything together and set aside.
Mix together the cream and the egg.
In a bowl, combine flour, butter, salt, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and baking powder. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or a fork until the largest pieces of butter are pea-sized. Pour in the cream and egg mixture and mix together gently until the dough barely forms.
Grease a 8" x 8" (or 9" x 9") pan with butter or cooking spray.
Dump in the fruit and drizzle with a bit of honey.
Pinch little pieces of dough and place them all over the berries until the surface is covered.
Drizzle with some more honey and then sprinkle raw sugar all over the top. Bake the cobbler at 425F for 35 minutes or until the berries are bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream or plain. The berries retain their freshness (thanks to the lemon zest and juice), the topping is delicious and crunchy (thanks to the butter and raw sugar), and this makes an awesome dessert and breakfast. Hey, it's got fruit in it so it makes a fine breakfast.
The filling will be quite juicy when it's fresh out of the oven, but I actually like that. The cobbler topping soaks up the juice and it's awesome. However, once it cools down, the filling starts to set up a bit and it becomes quite a deal more syrupy and jam-like. I actually love this as a topping for overnight oats, as weird as it may sound. But really, it's delicious however you eat it. Enjoy.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments